Special to the Montrose Daily Press

Christmas tree permits for the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests will be available to purchase online through Recreation.gov beginning Oct. 14, 2021. Details about designated cutting areas, cutting dates and types of trees that may be cut can be found at https://www.recreation.gov/tree-permits/gmug beginning Oct. 14.

“Cutting a Christmas tree on a National Forest has been a treasured tradition for many Coloradans,” said Chad Stewart, forest supervisor for the GMUG. “For families creating new traditions, a trip to their local National Forest to cut their own tree may be a thrilling experience as they discover the joy of adventuring out together into the forest.”

The Forest Service will continue offering online permit sales through Recreation.gov for the 2021 season. In person transactions may be available depending upon the ranger district. For more information on office hours and walk-in service options visit https://www.fs.usda.gov/gmug.

To purchase a Christmas tree permit, visit Recreation.gov and search for Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests (GMUG) Christmas tree permits. It is important to carefully read the overview and need-to-know information before purchasing the permit. Visitors will also need to set up or log in to a Recreation.gov account to complete the transaction.

Cutting a Christmas tree improves forest health. The permit system helps to thin densely populated strands of small-diameter trees. Local forest health experts identify areas that benefit from thinning trees that tend to be the perfect size for Christmas trees. Removing these trees in designated areas helps other trees grow larger and can open areas that provide forage for wildlife.

Better than a comments section

Discuss the news on NABUR,
a place to have local conversations

The Neighborhood Alliance for Better Understanding and Respect
A site just for our local community
Focused on facts, not misinformation
Free for everyone

Join the community
What's NABUR?