Here’s what’s new for home viewing on video on demand, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and other streaming services.
TOP STREAMS FOR THE WEEK
• “Mary Poppins Returns” (2018, PG) stars Emily Blunt as Britain’s most famous nanny, who floats back into the lives of the now-grown Jane and Michael Banks (Emily Mortimer and Ben Whishaw) to help with Michael’s children. Lin-Manuel Miranda and Meryl Streep co-star in the musical sequel. Now streaming on Netflix.
• Chadwick Boseman plays Thurgood Marshall in “Marshall” (2017, PG-13), a legal drama about the future Supreme Court Justice when he was an NAACP attorney in 1940 fighting a seemingly unwinnable case. Streaming on Amazon Prime Video.
• Looking for something more educational to occupy your kids during the summer break? Some of the most visually engaging natural history documentaries from BBC Earth are on Netflix, including “Planet Earth” (2006) and its follow-up, “Planet Earth II” (2016); “Frozen Planet” (2011), about life at the poles; and “Life Story” (2014), about the life cycle of animals across the globe. All are hosted by David Attenborough. Now on Netflix.
• Foreign language pick: Dry wit and playful storytelling help make “Woman at War” (Iceland, 2018, not rated, with subtitles) both a serious drama of ecological activism and a warm, winning story of devotion, sacrifice and family. Streaming on Hulu.
PAY PER VIEW/VIDEO ON DEMAND
• A bullying CEO (Regina Hall) wakes up as her young self in “Little” (2019, PG-13), a comedy co-starring Issa Rae and Marsai Martin. Also on DVD and at Redbox.
• Anthony Mackie is an ER nurse who teams up with a wounded criminal (Frank Grillo) in “Point Blank” (2019, not rated), a remake of a 2011 French thriller.
• Streaming TV: A Seattle family adjusts to life in a small town in Georgia in the new family-friendly sitcom “Family Reunion: Season 1,” and “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine — Complete Series” (1993-99) joins the “Star Trek” universe of shows on Netflix.
AMAZON PRIME VIDEO
• Robert Pattinson plays a magazine photographer assigned to cover James Dean (Dane DeHaan) in “Life” (2015, R).
• Ben Affleck adapts Dennis Lehane’s mystery novel for his directorial debut, “Gone Baby Gone” (2007, R).
• Rami Malek won an Academy Award playing Queen frontman Freddie Mercury in the rock biopic “Bohemian Rhapsody” (2018, PG-13).
NEW ON DISC/REDBOX
• “Little,” “Pet Sematary,” “After.”
• Sean Axmaker is a Seattle film critic and writer. His reviews of streaming movies and TV can be found at streamondemandathome.com.