The Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests’ crews will be conducting prescribed burns now through July 10.
Aerial ignitions are planned, and caution is advised because smoke will likely be visible near National Forest System Road (NFSR) Nos. 504, 574 and 529.
The prescribed burn project areas will be patrolled and monitored for several days following ignition.
NFSR Nos. 504 and 529, 25 miles west of Delta.
• Burning operations were to have begun Monday.
• Approximately 600 acres are planned for pine maintenance treatment.
• Objectives: Increasing resiliency and reproduction of native ponderosa pine stands, protecting adjacent private property from the spread of large unplanned wildfires, and reducing slash from mechanical treatments.
Simms Mesa Prescribed Burn:
• NFSR No. 574, 15 miles south of Montrose on the Simms Mesa Road.
• Operations planned to begin Tuesday and Wednesday.
• Approximately 1,000 acres.
• Objectives: Improve vegetation regeneration, wildlife habitat, reduce hazardous vegetation (fuels) build-up and to promote a wildfire resilient landscape.
For information and updates on prescribed burns, wildfires and fire restrictions, call the GMUG’s Fire Information line at 970-874-6602, or visit www.fs.usda.gov/gmug.